The Bearcat Discovery Center was created in 1993 to provide high-quality childcare for Nevada County families. Nestled on the beautiful Union Hill School District campus, the Bearcat Discovery Center offers year-round care for children aged two through 8th grade in our Toddler, Preschool, and Before- and After-School Programs.
Instilling a love for school and learning is at the heart of all of our programs. We believe in providing a safe, structured, inclusive setting that supports, encourages and inspires each child. Our fundamental belief that children learn best through meaningful play is reflected in a child-centered program that integrates the cognitive, physical, social-emotional, language, self-help and aesthetic areas for the total development of the child.
Our center offers before- and after-school care to students enrolled and attending Union Hill School District. Our Toddler, Preschool, and Summer Programs are open to the public.
We are proud to serve all families. We operate without discrimination and provide equal treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry or abilities. At the Bearcat Discovery Center we offer both subsidized care and full-fee care, as well as accept Sierra Nevada Children Services (SNCS) for our Toddler and Preschool Programs. We offer on-site, free State-Preschool as well as subsidized before- and after-school care to qualifying families.
Why Choose Bearcats?
- Conveniently Located on the Union Hill School District campus in beautiful Grass Valley, California.
- Open year-round.
- A safe and nurturing environment for children to feel that they are at a home away from home.
- Flexible schedules! We offer 2, 3 and 5 days of care in our Toddler and Preschool Programs with both Part Day and Full Day schedules, as well as drop-in care for school-age families.
- Kind, loving, long-term staff who are permitted through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, finger-printed through Live-Scan, and CPR- and first aid-trained.
- Fun-filled Before and After School Programs that offer homework time, S.T.E.A.M projects, time to socialize and relax, and play outdoors!
- A Summer Program that is based on hands-on learning through weekly projects such as cooking, science and art! Weekly field-trips to the pool, movies and other venues, such as a Rivercats baseball games and gold-panning at Marshall’s State Park.